Fortitude is: strength of character, moral strength, strong-mindedness, courage, bravery, toughness of spirit, firmness of purpose, resilience, backbone, spine, mettle, spirit, nerve, pluck, fearlessness, valour, intrepidity, stout-heartedness, endurance… etc.
In essence, it is INNER STRENGTH.
Ephesians 6:10 says the following:
- God is strong, and He wants you strong. [Messsage Bible]
- Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. [ESV Bible]
- In conclusion be strong—not in yourselves but in the Lord, in the power of his boundless resource. [Phillips Bible]
- In conclusion, be strong in the Lord [be empowered through your union with Him]; draw your strength from Him [that strength which His boundless might provides]. [Amplified Bible]
Having fortitude results in us being brave. Watch this short video clip on being brave.
In Joshua 1, the Lord commands Joshua to "be strong and courageous", four times. These commands were not given in isolation. If we look at the other things the Lord said, we can understand why he took courage & was so strong, to take over from such a great leader like Moses and lead the people to possess their promised land.
- Joshua 1 Vs 2 "Moses my servant is dead. Now therefore arise, go…”
To many Israelites this news could have been like the end of the world, but when the Lord spoke these words to him it was a call to arise. This was his destiny, to take over from Moses. His greatest hour had arrived. The Lord specializes in turning tragedy into triumph. The darkest hour is just before dawn. Take courage and be strong!
- Vs 3 & 5 “Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses.”… “Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you.”
His promises continue! They are not dependent on circumstances or any one individual. These words must have been so encouraging to Joshua.
- Vs 5 & 6 “I will not leave you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous…”
His Presence is one of the greatest sources of strength to us.
- Vs 7 & 8 "Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”
The Lord was in essence saying: "Stay in the Word!" God's Word fills us with faith. This is the fountainhead of strength and courage that the Lord ignites in us through His Word.
BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS!